You are finally selling your home and nothing could be more exciting than having a fresh start in a new city with your family. The worst part about a big move is packing all of the items up from one location to another. Not to worry! It can be extremely easy to think of all the things that can go wrong or break during a move; your favorite dishes, your memorable items from faraway travels and so on and so forth. Not to worry. When it comes to moving, there are a few things you can do to make it easier for yourself, your family members and a moving company to assist you.
1. Color Coding- To stay organized with so many items, color coding is one of the best things you can do to look at things from a glance instead of writing on boxes. Pick a color that you want to use. For example, you could pick the color pink and designate all boxes that are pink to be the kitchen. Have a diagram to give the movers that has each room color coding so they know what color box to put in each room.
2. Protect Glassware with clothes – If you have ever traveled with breakable items, you want to make sure they are well protected. One way to do so and by not having to spend a lot of money ( or waste a lot of newspapers ) is by using clothes to help you pack your glass valuables. Wrap your glassware in a sweatshirt or long t-shirts and place them gently in the box to protect them.
3. Use A Toilet Paper Roll For Cords – If you have multiple cords for your computers, laptops, phone chargers and iPads, the worst thing you can do is try and throw them all together in a box and attempt to untangle them later. One way to help with this problem is by wrapping your cords up but then placing them in a toilet paper roll for safekeeping and for keeping your cords bending the correct way too.
4. Declutter Everything – A simple way to help you stay on task, organized and ready to move is by decluttering what you won’t need for your move. Go through each room with a trash bag and put items in that you haven’t used, touched or seen in at least 6 months. Once that is done, donate your items to a local charity, church, neighbor or put it up on Facebook Market to see who you can help in need. This will also help the hassle of trying to pack everything and really just the items you want or need for your next move.
5. Extra Shower caps? One way to keep muddy or dirty shoes from touching one another is by placing them in shower caps. This is simple to grab at your local dollar store if you don’t have any shower caps lying around. If your kids are small you can always combine a few pairs in each cap to help with space as well.
6. Call A Professional- Once the boxes, bags, and items are all packed away, color-coded and ready to go, call a professional to help you move them all into a truck. One company that can assist you with this is called Gameday Moving Services. The friendly staff can handle all of your belongings with ease. While many moving companies may charge high rates for sub-par services, they go above and beyond providing exceptional service and affordable rates for your move. Hiring these piano movers in Athens GA, and surrounding areas to transport your heavy items. If you don’t want to do all the packing and unpacking yourself, they also offer not only a truck but boxes, tape, label and organize them within your home and then deliver them to your new location safely.
Some other suggestions include putting important documents in a safe space such as your purse or file cabinet that can be locked. To help you get rid of some items quickly, you can host a garage sale in your neighborhood which also can give you some extra cash to use. If possible, try not to move during peak times ( aka the summer ) for cost reasons as it can be extremely expensive to do so and many moving companies are in high demand. Whatever your choice of packing or hiring someone or family to help, the move will go as smooth as possible. Focus on the experience and your new journey together.